Amsterdam Trip


We talked about going to Amsterdam. We talked about places to see and things to do and the possible risks.We booked a holiday, looking at hotel ratings and location, departing airport, times and cost. 

We booked car parking over the internet. We booked insurance looking at cover and price. We logged onto Easyjet and put in our passport details.



Monday 16th March 2015



We downloaded an Easyjet app and ‘checked in’. We then got our boarding pass on the app. 
We got to NCL airport nice and early
We went to the airport an hour and a half before boarding and went through security/customs. I had to show my boarding pass and then go through security. 

I kept an eye on the departure board looking for my flight number so that I knew which Departure Gate I had to go to.We boarded the plane and flew to Amsterdam.

Waiting for our flight


 At Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport I followed arrows to the train station and bought a ticket for £3 to the centre of Amsterdam It took 20min.
Amsterdam train station.

The noticeboard where to go.



We walked to our hotel. I found it easily because we had been given a map with direction on and I recognised the front of the hotel and its name.

Outside our window
















We went out for a bite to eat and checked out some nearby features to help us navigate back to our hotel.

Known feature of monument.




Tuesday 17th

We went to the Van Gogh museum. We were there for a long time and learnt about the Van Gogh story and how he developed as an artist. Van Gogh took some inspiration form Monet.

We were not allowed to take photographs inside.
Trying to find the Van Gough
Museum.

I navigated by using a map and following features like the canals tram lines.

One of many canals
I navigated using a map.














 We wandered around town so that I could get familiar with it.
I was happy to do this independently a few times.




Ali and me having a bite to eat and a pint.

Wednesday 18th March


We went to the Rijksmuseum. I lead the way there.

The Rijks museum
Inside the Rijks museum
We looked at the art here all day. We looked at Rembrandt's ‘Night Watch’, It was not my style of painting and did not really interest me.




The 'Night watch' by Rembrandt 
Before the painting was restored it was named the Night Watch. After being restored it was clear that the painting was actually of a daytime scene. The main characters of the painting are lit up most.




A painting style I liked

















There was some other stuff at the
museum.













I lead the way back to the hotel from the Rjiks museum looking for key places, street names and using the map at times.

Because it was the last night we went for a Chinese meal. It was lovely.

Our meal
Yum Yum!


Thursday 19th


We went on a canal boat trip. The captain of the boat told us a bit about the city in an entertaining way.

In the boat
We boarded the boat by the trainstation


On the boat trip we learnt that Amsterdam is on the river Amster and and that the Dutch word for canal is 'dam' hence the name Amsterdam.

A nice picture of a canal
Multi storey bike park 
An old warehouse






                                                       We had a quick bite to eat. 

The church next to our hotel

We checked out of the Hotel, went to the train station and got the train to Schiphol Airport.


Checking out the train times
I navigated back to the train station

I went through security and checked in. I led the way to the correct departure lounge.
Waiting to board our plane at Schiphol
airport


I got home for 9.30pm.  

I really liked Amsterdam. It was mostly a chilled out place unlike London. I thought it was easy to get around and I liked the fact that it wasn't too big.






Comments