Biking around Windermere



We went to Ambleside to stay in a Youth Hostel. We stayed at there because we we planned to cycle round Windermere and we needed an early start.


At the Youth Hostel Ali checked the bikes and I went to the shops and got the groceries for tea.
We made a pasta dish which is full of energy for our bike ride the next day.



Our tea the night before our big ride
An early start at the Youth Hostel


On the day of the ride we got up at 6.15am and set off early to beat the morning traffic on the east (busy) side of the lake.




We got to the bottom of the lake (Newby Bridge) in really good time. We had a short rest to stretch my legs and then set off up the west side.

Have a stretch


On the west side of Windermere we paced ourselves more so that we didn't burn ourselves out and because there were more hills.




Looking east over Esthwaite



On the way up the west side of Windermere we also went round Esthwaite. When we got to Hawkshead we had our first proper rest and had some food and drinks.

Outside Beatrice Potters home


When we left Hawkshead and passed Esthwaite we stopped at the home of Beatrice Potter and had a look in. It was interesting to me because when I was little my mum read the Peter Rabbit books to me.



Watching the ferry arrive
We then headed to Windermere Ferry where we had a rest.
The next part of the ride was on a bike track. It was good because I didn't need to worry about traffic but bad because it took more effort because it was a little bit bumpy.


Wray castle


We stopped at Wray Castle for a quick drink and to admire the view of the last part of our ride.


We biked the last part of the ride on the road. It was a bit busy close to Ambleside so we pulled over to let some traffic past. 

When I saw the youth Hostel I felt great and forgot how tired I had been. We celebrated finishing my challenge (to bike or walk every main lake in the Lake District) by jumping in Windermere!!!!











Comments